Taking a Break from the Things You Love

Taking a Break from the Things You Love

I used to have a schedule, and for a quitter and procrastinator, I was pretty good at keeping to it. I told myself I’d publish a blog post every Wednesday without fail. As the months went by, I couldn’t ever see myself losing momentum. Things never work out the way we want them to, though.

I work full time, because I have to, but it can be a drain on my mental health. It’s a standard office job, nothing glamorous, and a lot of the time I feel terrible complaining when there are so many people who can’t work. But recently, my job has really stomped down on my mental health. It owns me, it dictates my mood, my productivity, everything. I’m under an awful lot of pressure at work and although I’ve disclosed my anxiety and depression to HR and my manager, I receive absolutely no support. So I rack up the sick days, note the reason as ‘stress’ and the cycle begins again. The workload has increased, the communication failing, and it’s gotten so bad that I’m coming home either in floods of tears or going straight to bed.

I’m only 22 and I feel like I’m wasting my youth and my life in a job that’s eating me alive. On top of that, I had writing commitments, but I was running out of posts and my exhaustion and stress meant that I was either too busy or too tired to write anything. And on the rare chance I could sit down and write, nothing would happen. I was completely burned out. I had social obligations, housework, and a dog to take care of. It came as no surprise that I fell into a heavily depressed state; so suffocating that my antidepressants I’ve had for 6 months now are starting to feel futile. I can’t shake the dark cloud looming over me; the dread at having to face another day and do it all again. I couldn’t take another day trapped in this endless cycle.

I needed a break – so I quit my blog.

taking a break mental health depressed overwhelmed burned out burnout mountains stress

It wasn’t an easy decision to come to; I felt like I’d let so many people down, but looking back, it was the best decision for me. It wasn’t just posting on Wednesday. It was drafting on Sunday, editing on Tuesday, and promoting every other day of the week. A lot of work goes into a blog and I was struggling to keep up with the demands alongside a full time job. My blog gives me a sense of purpose and is more along the lines of what I really want to do for a living, but my ‘real job’ pays me, so unfortunately I couldn’t just walk away from it.

I’ve spent just over a month off my blog, and writing altogether, and I’m starting to miss it. Ideas and inspiration are filling my head, kicking my motivation back into life and itching for me to get something down on paper. Stepping away from blogging allowed me to fully concentrate on my job. I’m so pleased that for now at least, it’s no longer dragging me backwards. I feel well rested, motivated, and ready to start writing about mental health again. I think it’s good to take a step back sometimes. Often our lives become so overcrowded with ‘things’ that we lose sight of what’s really important to us. And if we overwork ourselves, we won’t get to enjoy what we love most.

1. May 16, 2018 / 7:08 pm

Glad to have you back! It’s definitely good to be able to recognize when you need a break 🙂

2. May 16, 2018 / 8:01 pm

Keeping a book for blog ideas helps. Even if just titles.

• May 17, 2018 / 5:25 am

Definitely, I’ve even written a few things down in the notes on my phone!

3. Monica
    May 17, 2018 / 12:53 pm

I really enjoyed this blog post. I’ve enjoyed all the other’s of your I’ve read as well, you’re so real.

4. May 21, 2018 / 11:00 am

I haven’t read that many bloggers who are honest like you are, so it’s a breath of fresh air to know there’s someone like you out there. I believe you will one day write a book because I follow you on Twitter and I can see the response you have gained and the amount of support. People appreciate your work and when they are as good as you are, then I believe they will stick with you regardless if you aren’t blogging frequently as you used to. Your content is what makes people interested, so I feel they will stick by you and success will come your way. Thank you for sticking up for me the other day on Twitter 😊 Not sure if you remember, but it made me smile!

• June 7, 2018 / 8:45 pm

Sorry I’ve taken SO long to reply. Your comment means so much to me, you’re too kind 💛 I do remember you! I can’t stand the call out culture on twitter at the moment, glad I was able to help 💛

5. June 17, 2018 / 1:24 pm

Trust me on this one. You might feel now that you’re wasting your life or missing out but you’re not. In 5-10-20 years time, there will be people you know, your age, who are just starting to come to terms with their mental health. You’re doing the hard work now.

• June 23, 2018 / 8:57 am

Thank you so much <3 I think there's a lot of pressure on young people to have it all figured out and be moving in the right direction, but everyone goes at their own pace.

6. December 15, 2018 / 11:10 am

You have been so personal and honest and authentic in your blogs, I feel less lonely because I feel like I am having a conversation with someone.

In social media it is hard because sometimes i and others have to write in punchlines to get more interaction, when I just like ‘photography’ writing. Simple, intimate journey.

Thank you so much.

• Zoe
      Author
      December 17, 2018 / 8:53 am

Awww, you are so sweet! Thank you so much for your kind comments.

It does feel like there’s a certain way we have to talk on social media, but it isn’t true, there’s an audience for everyone. Some of my favourite blogs are conversational and personal.